The Forum of European Road Safety Research Institutes (FERSI) is a non-profit organisation that forms a flexible network of European road safety research organisations. All FERSI member institutes have a governmental mandate to perform pre-normative road safety research and are the main discussion partner of their national government for road safety issues. They analyse road safety developments, prepare solutions to be translated in legislation and guidelines, and evaluate the implementation of solutions.
It is FERSI’s mission to enhance road safety in Europe by promoting and coordinating relevant high quality road safety research, providing advice on the implementation of research results, and evaluating implementation outcomes.
FERSI members and cooperation
Currently, FERSI unites institutes from 22 European countries. FERSI is open for cooperation with any European and international road safety research organisation, both in exchanging research knowledge and in seeking opportunities for collaborative research.
FERSI acts on behalf of its members vis-à-vis the European Commission, European Parliament, European Council while promoting road safety in European research programmes, disseminating relevant research results, and acquiring funding for research projects.
FERSI also represents its members in the dialogue with other European and international road safety and road transport organisations, e.g. OECD, UN and WHO, as well as transport-related umbrella organisations, professional unions and branch associations.
FERSI engages in a wide variety of activities directed at both national and European level, including:
- proposing road safety topics for European and national research agendas;
- organising seminars and meetings on road safety issues and road safety research;
- identifying opportunities for international cooperation in road safety research;
- encouraging the international exchange of junior and senior road safety researchers;
- recommending evidence-based road safety solutions to relevant authorities;
- contributing to expert meetings and conferences, representing the road safety component;
- providing researchers and policy makers with up-to-date (links to) road safety information;
FERSI legal entity
FERSI is governed by the provisions of the Title III of the Belgian Law of 27 June 1921 on non-profit associations, international non à profit associations and foundations. Read the statutes of FERSI.